21 March, 2012

The Movie Whore Dumbs Down

The Movie Whore needed a cinema-fix recently. My shoes had all stayed relatively free from sticking to floors. (The brewery tour reminded me of that.) Needing a fix of sticky shoes and salty popcorn, I took my alter-ego to see This Means War. I have to say, I was hoping to go see The Hunger Games, but realized after my movie-craving began that it’s not out yet! I was afraid that This Means War would be a “date movie”. Bleah. Oh well, dumb movies aren't always a bad thing.
First the good news:
  1. There are some really good action sequences.
  2. I laughed a lot more than I expected to. Even during some of the action sequences. I actually laughed so hard at one point that I almost choked on a Raisinet. Good reason not to get Raisinets at a movie – which I usually don’t do. I don’t know what prompted me to do it this time.
Bad news:
  1. The ending is kind of saccharine, but they add a couple twists to reduce the sweetness, which is fun.
  2. She picks the wrong guy, IMHO. Before you shout “Spoiler Alert!” - that is not a spoiler because you don’t know my opinion!
The Movie:
Early on during the movie, The Movie Whore nudged me saying Wow – I am Lauren! – never dating and desperately trying to prevent friends from entering me into some online dating service!...but without Lauren’s actual desire to date and with no ex that I feel a need to impress.
Then we meet Chris Pine’s character – whose incongruous name is NEVER EXPLAINED – and that crazy Whore nudged me again to correct herself: No! This is me! Skeptical of the dating scene and furiously happy in my singleness!...but without all the womanizing and scheming.
That Whore is crazy. And schizophrenic. Personally, it just took a while for me to think of Chris Pine as anyone other can Captain Kirk.
Two other points:
First a direct quote, which I almost didn’t want to quote thinking it would be a spoiler, but the only way it’s a spoiler is if you as a movie-goer are more in sync with this movie than I am. So here it is:
Lauren’s friend says to her, “Don’t choose the better guy. Choose the guy who makes you the better girl.” Wow. So true! Yes indeedy, friend; that is good advice. Personally, I look for the “light bulb moments”. There have been only a couple guys I’ve dated who provided that “light bulb moment”. You know, that moment when someone enlightens you about something either you’ve always wondered about, or never thought to wonder about. (Like Brett’s Rainbow Theory, but with facts.) I’m addicted to the lightbulb. Paradigm shifts are catnip to me. Yum.
And the second thing...
The Movie Whore is very curious: do people really try to work out their problems talking to a mirror? Lauren does that in this movie and I couldn’t help but think it was weird. Of course no one does that in a public restroom - that's a movie device, but even in your own mirror? Do you? I might discuss an issue with myself…sometimes even out loud, but not in a mirror.
Anyway, a fun flick. Probably not one I’ll purchase though.
…and not one that requires a big screen.
Something to celebrate:
Today is "Naw-Ruz" - the Baha'i and Persian New Year. Yes! Another New Years celebration! I love having a reason to break out the bubbly.
Happy New Year, dudes!

17 comments:

  1. “Don’t choose the better guy. Choose the guy who makes you the better girl.”

    I pay little kids to say that about me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that line. I'm going to use it forever. Actually, it's just a concise stating of a sentiment I've believed for some time. If I'm dating a guy and feel like I'm my more annoying self when I'm with him, boom. It's over.

      Delete
  2. I talk to myself all the time. That includes in front of the mirror. I am not talking to the person in the mirror. I'm just talking.

    I don't usually realize I'm doing it. I get asked all the time, "Who are you talking to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of my talking to myself happens in the car. So there's nobody to ask who I'm talking to.

      Delete
    2. Same here - I don't talk to myself in the mirror, but I totally talk to myself pretty much everywhere else. Mirror time is dedicated to making faces at myself and longing for a magic time-reversing serum.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I spend enough time in the mirror putting in my contacts and putting on my makeup in the morning. No time to talk!

      Delete
  3. Ehhh... Isn't this just the western version of Battle Royale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "This Means War"? No, this is the one with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, and...some British actor I don't know.

      But I don't know Battle Royale...I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
    2. There are lot's of similarities between Battle Royal and The Hunger Games, but the author swears not to have seen Battle Royal.

      I'll decide whether to believe then after seeing it

      Delete
  4. My lips don't move when I talk to myself - but conversations are always going on in my head! Not in front of the mirror though.

    Do you know anything about this new movie, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, that's just come out in the UK? It has Judie Dench in it and takes place in India. I'm absolutely dying to see it... I think it will be released in the States early May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I saw that preview during one of my earlier Movie Whore adventures. DYING to see it. Such a fantastic cast, plus India! THere's a big display for it in the lobby of my cinema, so I will definitely go...but if it isn't out until May, I'll be in Indiana. I think my parents might enjoy that one. Maybe I can drag them out to it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, if I remember correctly, May 4th. It's going to be so much fun! I can't wait for your review after you watch it :)

      Delete
    3. It may take some convincing. My parents don't usually go to the movies. ...although Mom and I did on our "girls' day out" when I visited a while back, so maybe at least the two of us.

      Beleive me, the Movie Whore will let you know!

      Delete
  5. I was going to ask if this was an Aniston flick, but you said it was Reese Witherspoon in an above comment. I would be surprised if you were reviewing one of Aniston's movies as watchable.

    Oh, and I am DYING to see Hunger Games. I can't wait. Just read the book and really want to see what they did to it cinematically. We will have to compare notes once we watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. I generally prefer Aniston to Reese!

      I haven't read the books. I almost picked up the first one, but I don't need to buy any more books! After talking to someone who raved about the whole series, I will probably order the first one for my Nook. But I know I won't get to read it before the movie's out, so I'll happily watch the movie first.

      But after Brett's post yesterday, I now have to go see Act of Valor first!

      Delete
  6. The first time I saw a preview for this movie, I looked at my fiance and said, "we have to see this, it's CAPTAIN KIRK!" He then told me he loved me so much. By the way, I get that they are not cheap to shoot, but four years between movies? REALLY?? Oh yeah, this post was totally NOT about Star Trek, sorry. *blush*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think that part of the delay with getting these sequels going is the fact that they are trying to coordinate schedules with actors who are now in high demand. I know...I'm waiting with bated breath.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.