13 June, 2012

Guest Posting and What's Up in Iowa

Dudes! I survived the weekend road-trip with my parents!

Actually, I'm not even really here to say that. Adam, AKA DJTrain over at The Train's Whistle was given the Kreativ Blogger Award, and suggested I write it as a guest post. Woot-woot! My first guest post! I have to say, not only did I have fun with it, I think it's some of my best - and indeed most creative - writing so far. Go check it out HERE! (and while you're there be sure to read some of his earlier stuff. It's pretty cool.)

Since I wrote a full post already, I'm just going to share some photos from this weekend's trip, and call it a day. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words!
(I'm including an extra special bonus)

First, to catch you up in general. Last week on Thursday I went out to watch Brett's softball game. I brought along homemade peanut-butter cookies, and before heading to the game...

...we spread them with Nutella, satisfying the debate happening over on Rusty's blog.
yes, there are milk chocolate chips in some of them. I like to experiment.
At the game, I was commissioned to write for The Train's Whistle, as I linked to above.

Here he is: the man, the myth, the Coach DJTrain!

On Friday, my parents, my aunt, and I headed off towards Iowa.

The Amana Colonies are an Amish community in Eastern Iowa.
Iowa is NOT flat! It is gently rolling prairie - well, fields now.
That gets me every time. People who've never been there think Iowa is flat. Not true, people. You are mistaking Iowa for Kansas.

This cracked me up...
You "redeem" your empties for the deposit, but it sounds
as if there's an AA meeting in the back room or something!
Summertime at the lake. Crazy. People with boats tethered together, people on boats with a raft pulled behind, speed boats, pontoon boats...

This isn't even the most crowded part, because I was trying to get all the RVs.

This is the town of my paternal grandmother. We visited a lot when I was a kid. I was delighted to see that the same old death-traps toys are still in the park:

The rolling barrel o' joy.
Or, for those of us with big brothers:
The rolling barrel o' terror.
...and isn't it amazing that we ALL survived these?
The reunion itself was fun. As of course they always are. I won't share pictures of all the family, though. You're welcome!

Sunday we headed back across the state to my Mom's brother's house. When we stopped for lunch, guess whose table number was the Ultimate Answer!!!
(My parents did not understand why this was photo-worthy.)
More proof of Iowa's non-flatness.
For breakfast the next day we stopped at a good old fashioned Iowa local restaurant. Check out this cinnamon bun!

Dudes! It's as tall as a juice glass! That's 3 meals right there.

The Mighty Mississippi. It's really big, dudes. And I'm not even crossing it at a notably wide spot!
Well that's it, really. Not really, really, because all the stuff that you'd have to be family to appreciate isn't here, and that was the whole purpose of the trip. My dad was the youngest of 6. Of the 6 kids, 4 had 5 kids, and 2 had 3. PLUS any living siblings of my dad's dad, and their kids/grandkids come, too. (My dad's dad was the oldest of 6.)

That's a LOT of people. Of all ages. Actually, there are only two from my generation (and my grandpa's branch) that are younger than me: my brother and one cousin. I have cousins who have kids that are nearer my age than my cousins. Heck, I have cousins who are grandparents! So it's kind of weird, still being the young one. But it was fun. And I decided that if our generation is going to continue this, we need to start wearing name-tags. And family tree-tags.

Extra Special Bonus...JUST for playing along and actually reading this lengthy post all the way to the bottom, I've decided to include an actual, CURRENT picture of me:
My Eye.
True, dudes. It was a lot of driving, and somewhere in between reading and napping, I got bored and took an extreme close-up of myself. You're welcome.

And FINALLY finally,
In today's Something to Celebrate:
On this date in 1942, Anne Frank was given a diary for her 13th birthday. It gives you chills, doesn't it?

41 comments:

  1. I was looking for the Nutella cookie picture the other day. I forgot we took it with your camera. Hopefully this experiment will quell some arguments.

    I always pictures Iowa as being flat. I am surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude! You live in Illinois! Have you never crossed the river?
      Fail. Sorry. I love you, but that is a Fail.

      Delete
    2. Sorry. No. The closest part of Iowa is 5 hours from here and I have never had reason to go. We have our own corn.

      Delete
    3. Fair enough. You now have a reason to go. Remind me when it's corn season. I will take you up to where the GOOD corn grows.

      Delete
    4. It would be a long drive to Iowa to find out the corn tastes the same as here. Is it actually better?

      Delete
    5. Hmm...I can see I'm going to have to come up with a clever ruse to lure you into the wilds of Iowa.

      Delete
    6. I'm a sucker for a ruse from a pretty girl, but it will not be for the corn. I just don't believe it's better.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, these pics make me miss my Midwest roots, and you're right Nebraska is FLAT, Iowa, not so much! :-) Lovely green eye! I have an idea... you can post a picture of yourself piece by piece and those of us eager to see the real Red can put the puzzle together! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...that would be a great way to keep people reading regularly if they want the whole picture, because they wouldn't want to miss a piece. Nice.

      ...and I could make it all Picasso-y. The eye was straight on, the nose could be profile... I like it!

      Delete
  3. I want that cinnamon bun. WANT IT. If I was there I would have viewed that as a challenge and probably made myself sick because I have been craving a real cinnamon bun for about half a year now and I can't seem to find one. That thing, yeah, I probably would have killed myself. Yep. Death by bun. Hell of a way to go really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. You can see if they'll mail you one. The restaurant is called Gramma's, in Walcott, IA.

      It was super-sweet. Sugar shock sweet, for me.

      Delete
  4. I seriously think there needs to be a rule against posting tasties on our blogs! I'm dying for those cookies and that cinnamon bun! I've been craving sweet anyway... but now I'm absolutely drooling! A splurge may be long overdue on my part... I really need something luxuriously tasty. *sigh* I guess I'll have a cup of coffee lol.

    Also, thank you for the brilliant close-up picture of you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd mail you some cookies, but they'd probably go stale before they got to you. They'll have to wait until you're in the States.

      Delete
  5. Those biscuits look pretty good with Nutella...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm... they were. These are my favorite of all the cookies I make. I'd mail you some too, but again, they'd be stale before they got there.

      Delete
  6. "Red" I don't know why I keep putting "marks" around your name just a habit now!!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR MY GUEST POST!!!! Its scary how much you already know about me...I joined this post tons!!!! I really read it and not just looked at the pictures and I thought to myself "self, she can really write" lol....

    Keep up the good work hopefully see you at another soon....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am glad you liked it. I thought it was funny, and then suddenly realized that I don't, in fact, know you very well and you might be bored or insulted or just think "wow...that chick is WEIRD!"

      ...I suddenly have an idea for a screenplay about a runner who gets abducted...

      Delete
  7. You found a rolling barrel!!! They had one of those in a park where I grew up. Grand Island NE - right in the middle, where it's very flat. And yes, most of Nebraska is flat. Some of it isn't though, and we're glad people think that it's all flat because then they stay away from the non-flat places that rock.
    I can't even count the numbers of concussions I received due to the leg power of my sister and that barrel. And every time we went to that park - every day - I would get back on it. Now when we visit I'm sad it's not there to show my kids.
    Sorry for the ramble. Found your page from your comment on the Bloggess. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I had to take a picture... after 30 years and all the new safety guidelines, I was surprised they still had that equipment.

      ...and I do know that there are bits of un-flat Nebraska. If there are un-flat bits to Kansas thought, they are well-hidden.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Whoa, so much to share in one massive post. I would have personally broken it down into several smaller ones.

    That being said, awesome pictures. Looks like you really enjoyed yourself. Also, I didn't know Helen Keller could write. I mean, I knew she could talk but was there really a point to her writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't have a ton of time to write these days, so if I broke it down they would be spread out over too long for anyone to follow.

      And there's not a lot to tell, really. It was a reunion. We've all been there, done that. But I thought the pictures shared enough. Glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  9. I NEED that cinnamon bun. Need. It.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's more filling than a pop-tart! ;-)

      Delete
  10. I haven't seen one of those spinning wheel of vomit rides in quite some time. (not the barrel, the other one) I wonder who thought it was an awesome idea to make kids sick at the park? Did you ride it? :)

    Also, you have a very nice eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I would ride that thing until I couldn't stand up. But no, not this time.

      Thank you! I was surprised to find that the lines under my eye weren't showing, so thought I'd better take advantage.

      Delete
  11. That argument's died down lately. I need Rusty to step it up, he's losing badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next up: Fluffer-nutter cookies!

      Delete
    2. I only found out what they are yesterday. That sounds almost too trippy for me to handle.

      Delete
    3. We'll probably spread them with Nutella, too.

      Peanut butter, marshmallow and nutella FTW!

      Delete
  12. Ooooh, I love that ancient playground equipment. Nothing quite like those giant metal spinning things. Loved them as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? That great, crazy, dizzy feeling.

      ...kind of like being drunk...hey I just figured out the attraction!

      Delete
  13. First off, my, what a pretty eye you have! And secondly, taunting us with that cinnamon bun was just plain mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the cinnamon bun is the hit of this post. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  14. And NOW I need dessert. Where do I have to go to get that cinnamon bun? I'll share it, I promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gramma's Restaurant, in Walcott, IA. It's super sweet.

      Delete
  15. If you could describe the taste of Nutella for me, I would be eternally grateful. I just so happen to be allergic to anything remotely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes like a light milk chocolate, but nuttier. It's supposedly made from hazelnuts, if you've ever had them. It's a different kind of sweet than plain old chocolate.

      Delete
  16. I am incredibly surprised that we all survived the death trap playground, particularly the chicken fighting log in my case. I also feel a little sad for those kids who will never get the near brush with death experience at recess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This generation never had it so boring. I used to torture myself with climbing the tallest thing on the playground. Spinning was just fun.

      Delete
  17. I was very sad when we were out there that I had to explain to my kids how to ride the toys. They were scared but once I showed them all they wanted was FASTER, FASTER

    Hestia

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.