31 August, 2012

That Dumb Dog!

...ran off last night. That's right. He broke free while I was putting him out on the runner.

Jackson, as I mentioned in my last post, is just two. He is not allowed off his leash outside the house. In fact, he has three leashes.
"The Gentle Leader". Not Jackson. 
(image: eharnessesfordogs.com)

1) the "Gentle Leader" goes around his nose and just behind the ears, so that you can redirect him without pulling his neck, 2) a regular leash that hooks to his collar, and 3) a skinny leash that is used just for taking him out back and hooking him up to the cable on his runner. The first two are used together when we go for a walk.

When he's fired up, Jackson likes to play tug-o-war with his leash. I hate that. I'm afraid he's going to chew through a leash and then I'll have to get him a new one. Dumb dog. So I try not to participate, and just lead him where he needs to go.

Last night, he won. He tugged his leash right out of my hand and ran off through the trees. That dumb dog.

Not quite. His had MORE lights.
(image: funjeeps.com)
My preference would have been to just go off, calling his name, catch him, and bring him back, but I didn't know where my hosts keep a flashlight. So I called her cell phone to find out, and she suggested I take their extra car that was in the garage; maybe he'd recognize the car. So I drove down the dead end road - like half-mile? Less? - calling his name. At the end, I got out of the car, and one couple let me traipse through their backyard, where we'd seen eyes, also loaning me a powerful flashlight. The neighbor across from them actually got into his jeep (the kind with those powerful lights on top) and drove into the neighboring streets to look.

I was getting concerned that his leash might have become entangled in some trees or underbrush, so I headed to the house to put on some jeans and head out on foot. The jeep pulled back into the street as I was pulling into the drive, so I explained what my new plan was and thanked him for his help.

I hadn't yet changed when the Jeep came back with Jackson in the front passenger seat. Apparently Jackson and the Jeep's dogs were socializing when Jeep got home.

Jackson was wet, as was his leash. Most of these houses overlook ponds of various sizes, so I could imagine he'd gone for a swim. Dumb dog.

I put him out on the runner and then called my hostess to let her know her baby was safe but wet, and she told me where the dog shampoo was. What? DOG Shampoo?? I didn't think he was stinky, but said I'd check when I brought him in. Please, God, no stinky!

That dumb dog.
Stinky like fish.

Great. It's nearing 10:30, I've not even talked to Brett yet, and I have to WASH THE DOG! In my (guest) bathroom. Yippee.

I have no words for the ordeal that was the dog-bath. Suffice to say, water was everywhere, and now I need to clean my shower before I can use it. Dumb dog. I put him straight into his cage for the night (normal routine, not punishment) and went upstairs to call Brett.

By the time I got to bed, Jackson was whimpering. A lot. I thought there was no way he needed to go out again, but then, if he did and I left him inside, I'd have to clean up that mess, too. So I got out of bed sometime after midnight, put him on the runner and sat down on the sofa to give him time to do his thing. 2a.m. I woke up, brought him back in and finally went to bed.

That dumb dog.

Now excuse me while I bake banana bread as a thank you for the neighbors who helped.

18 comments:

  1. Ugh. There's nothing worse than when pets (other peoples') run away. I'm proud of you for not beating him :) Hopefully this gig will be over soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My instinct would have been "when he gets hungry he'll come home" but, well, he's not mine. I have a week more at least, but he's really not all bad.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I am liking the dog either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, both pets have their moments. I don't blame you though.

      Delete
  3. And that would be why I'm not a dog person. I'm too lazy for all that. I'm too lazy to take care of myself, let alone a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope Corgis aren't like this because I don't want to go through that much crazy everyday to walk him. ._.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a puppy thing. But I have to say, as a Rottweiler-Shepherd, Jackson may have more inherent strength (to pull free) than a Corgi.

      Delete
  5. Oh man. There is nothing quite like that feeling of watching someones pet, that you were supposed to be taking care of, tear off into the distance. At least he came back home and you didn't have to desperately comb the shelters looking for an identical dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Looking in the shelters for a replica! If it happens again, I know what to do.

      Yeah, it was kind of nerve-wracking, mostly because he's not mine to lose.

      Delete
  6. I hope they are paying you a lot of money. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that this has been such a trying experience, and that I am not just taking care of the pets, but keeping the house clean (I try to leave a place in better condition than when I arrived), I hope they return early and pay extra!

      Delete
  7. Sigh, puppies (especially the older puppies) are tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and he's moody. It's like having a teenager who doesn't speak my language.

      Delete
  8. The good thing about being out in the country is that the dogs just run free. The good ones stay on your property. The bad ones end up getting shot. That's not so nice. As ours are not generally in the house dogs, they don't usually get bathed. I know how messy that can be. Now they just go for a swim in the pond when they get dirty. It's a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! My parents' dog is off-leash and we know that if he does leave the property he's probably going to say hi to a neighbor, and he'll be back.

      Delete
  9. Oh my, sounds like a rough night.

    I'm a dog lover, but they can be a pain in the butt, especially when it comes to bath time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pets are like kids to me: best appreciated in small doses. Jackson's just untrained. He'll get there. Either that or he'll bite someone and have to be put down.

      Delete
  10. Aw my dog hasn't gotten away yet, but I'm pretty sure that I would have a panic attack.

    I did save someone else's dog, though. A blog post will surely be written about that ordeal...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.