15 August, 2012

Two Days of the Rat Race

Ha! I'm so awesome. I was hired temporarily into the HR department of a large regional organization to complete one task. I was told it was "one week for sure, probably two". Dude, I am so going to be done by the end of this week.

Okay, I know I'm tempting fate to say that. I've tempted fate once already this week, and fate bombed my butt. That's right. I was close to getting a full-time job - totally un-connected with this position - and mentioned as much to a couple people. Today I found out I'm not getting it. DOH!


That's okay, though. It was in an industry I had intentionally gotten out of years ago, but I have experience and would do well. Even though it bugs me on some level. BUT... I had AMAZING references. Ha!

As much as I thought I would be fully employed soon, I can honestly say I wasn't heartbroken to be denied. It was nice to have a positive feeling about the job search, even for a while, so I'll take it! And it's not like I stopped checking my online sources.

Back to this job, though.

At my temporary home for the week, I found I quite like the office setting, but this particular place is somewhat... austere? Quiet, certainly. I don't know if there's a rule against music, but it seems to be the case. No music coming from any cubicle. Yes, it's a cubicle farm. Excuse me: "open plan" as they say. Fortunately, being in HR, I have a door with a lock. I've been instructed that I need to lock my computer any time I step away from my computer, and lock my door if I leave the office.

I also have an officemate who is a very sweet lady, but who only works three days a week. She's "long-term temporary", but her job is about to be posted as a full-time position because they realized they need someone there all the time. She suggested I apply for it when it opens. ...but I don't think I could do the "no music" thing in the long term.

Oh! Extra bonus!
There's a rule. Like, a written rule, that says you canNOT eat lunch at your desk! At my previous job I ate while I worked 90% of the time. I LOVE this rule!

Anyway, I'm moving along. Still looking for something full time, before I actually need to utilize health insurance, which I no longer have. My advice? If you have a job, don't leave it!

20 comments:

  1. Headphones! That will help you survive without music. Try not to sing along if you're completely tone deaf like me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I actually asked my supervisor today if there was a rule against it, and she said there was. Good for me for asking, though! Going through these HR files, I'm seeing all the stuff people have been written up for, and they are STRICT!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I fantasize about getting fired... Then I wouldn't have to sit in a cubicle all day staring at carpeted walls. It's kinda like being in an insane asylum, except without the awesome drugs and fun people to talk to.

    I know... I'm kinda bitter. ;o)

    The right job will choose you. You'll see!

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunate I'm not in a cubicle, because I think I'd feel the same.

      I know I'll get something good eventually. Thanks for the encouraging words!

      Delete
  3. What's the point of having a job if you are not allowed to quit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe the job market is better down under. Do what you need to do!

      ...(I always hate the phrase "down under". It's so Northern-centric. Who are we to say which way the universe is oriented?)

      Delete
  4. If you can't eat your lunch at your desk, then you might have to go eat in a common area and talk to people. I would hate that.

    I like the idea of an office with a lock on the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the break room is huge. Like almost as big as my elementary lunch room. Plus there are tables outside. It's not a problem.

      Delete
  5. What you can do is bring an iPod and just pop one ear bud in. Just one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I checked today, and I can't. Good thought though!

      (Something about fairness for the customer service team who can't have them because they have to answer phones.)

      Delete
  6. Not planning on leaving my job any time soon. Hopefully you will find something before you become a bitter wreck of a person sitting alone in the dark muttering about 'how you used to be somebody.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I have Brett around to keep me from getting bitter. I'm only saddened about the fact that right now we can't seem to get together at all until we both get a paycheck.

      The temp agency is sending me on another interview next week. Who knows what could happen?

      Delete
  7. ACK! I'm not sure I could work in a cubicle type setting? I'd have to keep looking up over the wall to get the lay of the land. But then, I do seem to be spending a considerable amount of time in the office lately, on the computer reading blogs. Maybe I'd adapt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the no music thing that kills me. If I had decent coworkers, I can see the fun of cubicles...throwing stuff over the walls, playing pranks, etc. But no music?

      Dude, for three days I have had ONE SONG stuck in my head for the entire day until I leave. A different song each day, but still. Talk about insanity.

      Delete
  8. Well there you go, ruining all my plans to quit my hellish job because I Just. Can't. Take. It. Anymore! But the job search I'd abysmal. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, back in my Delaware days, when I was gainfully employed, I fantasized about quitting. At least I could play my own music there!

      Delete
  9. "open plan" - Yeah, I love it when they try to make it sound appealing.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would like having that many co-workers that close to my personal space.

      ...then again, I think of the whatsername from "Red" and her cubicle space and think it might be fun.

      ...and then I remember the guys from Office Space going postal. Hilarious. I should watch that.

      Delete
  10. I work in a factory and we are not allowed to listen to music either. They would catch me if I used headphones so what i do is play the music from my phone at full volume, put it in my work shirt pocket, and go about my job. I have to keep an eye out for people walking towards me but I have it figured out to where the volume button is and I turn it all the way down through the pocket without removing the phone. So it's not obvious. So far, I haven't been caught. Yet.

    I'm like you, I get a song stuck in my head and can't get rid of it all day.

    Glad you found a job, even if it is temporary. A small paycheck is better than no paycheck. Good luck on the job hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I have another interview on Tuesday for a different place with a more interesting job. Not sure how much or for how long though.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.